Tuesday 12 March 2013

finished sweater

Last week we had the first promise of spring - flowers coming up everywhere and leaves coming out, all within a day or two. Today it's been snowing again, so maybe its okay to post about a woolen winter sweater.



I finally finished this sweater last week. I started it in 2003 or 4, I'm not quite sure. I was visiting my grandmother and like so often we were talking about making things. I had never knit anything big before but wanted to try to knit a sweater. Well, she had wool, from a knit dress her sister had made that she had unravelled, and she washed it and rolled it into balls for me. A pattern? You don't need one, just measure and make it up yourself! So I did, I wanted a V-neck, not too loose sweater with long sleeves. And after 10 years its finally done. 

My mother just sent me this picture of the two of us knitting (I'm working on snorri here). Its interesting to see how we hold the needles. I learned knitting from my mother who learned it from her mother. And when she taught me I remember that it was the dutch way of knitting, as opposed to the way my canadian family knits.


No comments: